Thursday, March 02, 2006

So, that happened

Living in San Francisco you have to expect the random. You have to know that at any given time, the weirdest thing you've ever seen will happen, and five minutes later, it will be trumped by the new weirdest thing. The same happens in New York, but at least people there have the courtesy to say, "what the fuck?" Here, people just keep smiling. It's really annoying. I feel like I'm the only one to ever notice these insane things going on around me, while everyone else is humming.
Case in point. Tonight it was pouring and the train was extremely late -- but I was having a nice little Zen moment under my umbrella so I didn't really mind. ('Sound under umbrella' should be one of the tracks on sleep tapes). Anyway, we're standing there and all of a sudden it became a very weird, David Lynch-esque, moment.
A 400lb man wearing a full White Sox uniform stood on the little island in the middle of the street, with no umbrella, and proceeded to smoke a bowl. After each hit he would cough so violently, I thought he would die right there in the middle of the street--soaking wet, in his baseball outfit. No one else seemed to care.
While the large man was slowly coughing himself to death, a little car with a spoiler zoomed by blasting soft rock. Seriously. If Kenny G had been approached to do the soundtrack for 2 fast 2 furious, this easily could have been a scene. The car kept circling around the street drag racing against itself for about 20 minutes. The entire time with that horrible music. The only plus is that when he passed, it muffled the all-star's hacking.
While this is going on, a young man in a cape carrying his bicycle (I checked, the tires were fine) made his way across the street to stand next to me. Well, now the night was complete. After about 3 seconds of conversation I concluded he was crazy. Not to generalize, but with people in capes? It's about 9 out of 10.
So I'm trying to ignore him without making it seem obvious, wishing he'd just pick up his bike and run away, all the while listening to the last few minutes of the now completely soaked man's life, and trying to avoid being hit by the asshole behind the wheel of the pimped out soprano sax. I looked around to see if anyone else noticed how insane this was. Not a single head looked up from their umbrella. And I swear, I heard about 4 people humming that terrible song from the car. Freakin SF.

No comments: