Saturday, March 25, 2006

The 37 minute good-bye

usually my parents make their weekly call on Sunday, right after a huge breakfast and the paper, and then I have to hear about both. But my dad is always jumping the gun and calling on Saturday mornings, which I've asked him repeatedly not to do, because it means I'll have to hear the same stories twice. "Yea, dad. We talked about that yesterday." For a while I was screening my calls and just not answering when he would call on days other than Sunday, but that's honestly, like the biggest jerk move ever, and I had to stop. Plus, if i didn't pick up, there would be like 8 messages about squash in my voicemail.
I've learned over the years, that if i don't start to say good-bye the minute I pick up the phone, he'll never hang up. Really. But even with blatant hints, and flat out saying, "I have to go" he'll keep right on talking.
I just got off the phone with him. all my end of the conversation ever is, is saying what I need to do away from the phone.

-Hi dad-listen, I just got in from a run, i'm all gross, gonna jump in the shower and i'll talk to you guys tomorrow.
-Oh, OK. Just called to tell you that Rochester is selling the Fast Ferry.
-Pause....
-England might buy it! Or maybe Spain.
-Well, that's good. Can you tell me--
-They'll pay like $30 million for it used. I think it's $50 million new. So that's a savings!
-Um, yea. that's a deal, ooook, well
-Have you had any good salmon lately?
-Pause...
-I had the most delicious shrimp bisque the other night. Or was it crab? Nono, shrimp. ooh boy, it was good. We got some to go and I just had it for lunch with a grilled cheese sandwich.
-Speaking of food, I'm gonna grab some breakfast, I'll talk to you---
- And guess what? I was telling mom how much I miss the blueberry cobbler at the Basket Factory, remember that place? And guess what she did? she made one. only, it was cherry, but still.
-Pause...

And this continued, until I hung up, the right side of my face hot from the phone. tomorrow will be round 2, which is exactly like round one, only my mother will have stories too. "oh, Jessica, you'll never believe the bisque we had."

No comments: