Wednesday, March 01, 2006

baby cone?

I've been saying this for years, but Karla Crowley is hands down the most naturally humorous person I know. Well, maybe close second to Michelle Garren. But still. We met up for dinner tonight and as always, I was waiting patiently to play a quick round of "I could go for something sweet." Even after the biggest meals-- unable to move without squinting meals-- Karla has ALWAYS said "I could go for something sweet" directly afterwards. ALWAYS. I offered her $1000 once if she could go without saying it. Either she thought I was kidding, or it's a mantra so deeply embedded it'd be like asking her not to blink, but she's never done it. But I totally love it. It's such a nice, predictable way to end a meal. Hearing it's like an after dinner mint or something. Enjoyable in a surprisingly simple way.
Magnolia's makes a quality cheeseburger, which she got, and I have to say, that was a little hard. I've been a vegetarian for a few months now and loving it("you still eat beef though, right?"-Steve Martin), but who doesn't love a cheeseburger? Come on now. When the food came out I looked down at my yam sandwich and it goes, "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry." It was a little trippy but I accepted it's apology. Who doesn't love a talking yam? Come on now.
But Karla was going on about how hungry she was because all she'd had all day was some kashi and pb&j. Let me tell you why this is hilarious. Karla has been living off the same 3 foods for about, um, all time? If she's not out to eat she's eating apples, pbj sammy's or kashi and yogurt. It's a very compact shopping list. But whenever I see her, she makes a point to tell me how sick of peanut butter she is.
When the server came to clear the plates we both commented on how full we were. I was fighting a smile because my favorite part of going out to eat with her was coming up.
My money was on, "Do you want to get a brownie at People's?" But nothing. 10 minutes we sat there, not a single mention of confection. I was mid-sentence and she goes, "Oh my God-- Ben and Jerry's. They have an oatmeal cookie ice cream. You have to try it." I was a little disappointed because in my rules, this didn't necessarily count.
"Um, I don't know, I feel kinda sick from all that yam."
"Oh really? Not even a baby cone? I could really just go for something sweet."
Mint, please.

No comments: