Thursday, January 21, 2010

??Mystery Post??: Up Top!

The votes for the first ever interactive poll are in. That was exciting. [cough].

We're going with the Mystery Post this first time around, and ironically, what I'm about to tell you is no great mystery: I love a good high five. Love it. I can't help myself. 

Lately, I've had the uncontrollable urge to give everyone I pass a high five, encouraging them to go along with it by instructing, "Up top!" It almost never works. And then I'm stuck with my arm in the air. But I have this visual of walking down the street and getting a high five from everyone and I can't shake it. I mean, seriously--how cool would that be? 

I don't know why people are so anti-high five. It's fun, it makes you feel like you've done a good job with something, even if you haven't, and, well, I guess that's it. So I'm taking the Up Top! Revolution to the next level by inviting you to give somebody an "Up Top!" high five. Let me know how it goes. 

6 comments:

MFB said...

Funny you should post this, cause I gave Jeremiah a high five today... but he beat me at Guess Who, so he kind of deserved it. Maybe that's why you keep getting shot down - you gotta earn it, Jessie.

Alternately, maybe your world is full of people who desperately WANT to give you high fives, but can't reach your hand.

Jess said...

A few things:

1) "Jessie?" Yeah, that's not funny.

2) Love little Jeremiah

3) I would school you in a game of Guess Who? I have it worked out to something of a social science now. Are the characters still the same? Because if so, I'm guessing your person was one of the following: Maria, Sam, Franz, or Bernard.

4) I'm pretty sure you were just taking a cheap shot at my freakish arm length but you might be on to something. The only person who consistently gives me an up top high five is a guy who is about 5 inches taller than me. Conversely, when a shorter coworker went up for one the other day, she slapped me pretty hard on the elbow.

MFB said...

1.) Yes it is.
2.) Me tooooo!
3.) It was Matt, smartass. White hair, no glasses or hat, blue eyes, no facial hair, smiling with a small mouth.
4.) At least she didn't slap your face.

The Urban Backpacker said...

OK, I tried the 'up top' thing yesterday, with a lackluster result. I received the return hand slap, but it was weak. There was no loud 'clap' sound, and it left me disappointed.

I think people are willing to give high-fives, but they're not putting their best efforts into them.

Icelandish said...

So I take it that you're a fan of the "High Five" videos on funnyordie.com? I think I watched the "High Five Hollywood" video like 30 times when it came out.

Jess said...

UB:That's not cool. A weak high five is like a handshake without a grip. Why bother? At least they're willing to humor you, but it's still pretty lame.

Did you ever see the Seinfeld where Jerry's girlfriend won't try a bite of his pie? I'm equally suspicious of people who won't high five. It's fun. What's your problem?

Jessica: I hadn't seen those. But thanks for making me waste another sunday morning on funnyordie. Have you ever seen the "Between two Ferns" interviews? I love them.