Thursday, April 27, 2006

Here's My Card.

Shout Out to Sabrina Rae for her huge promotion at NYC Opera!!! Not only does she have crazy responsibility, she has an assistant, and the best job title I've ever heard. She is now 'Manager of Major Gifts.' Hi? How cool is that? So whenever anything comes into the opera with a giant bow, she decides what to do with it.
Actually, I have no idea what it means. I like to pretend I know how operas function, but all I can deduce is that they raise a lot of money to spend a lot of money to put on shows for like the same 100 people (using their money).
When she worked at Glimmerglass, I went to see a performance and sat right next to her boss, which I didn't realize until I had finished the whole, "These are broken, mine are broken" routine. She turned to me and said, "This isn't your first opera is it?" and I felt like an 8 year old, and I was like, "Well, it's my first opera today. We had a late start." Very smooth.
Anyway, congrats sister! Can't wait for your business card! It's going to say MAJOR GIFTS on it! oh the pressure, of a birthday present. Anyone who has your card is going to think they have to go in on a pony now. Or at least a really big stuffed pony. ...Pony. (funnier 3x)
But speaking of business cards, I think I'm the last person in the world not to have one. I was at my friend Mike's place the other night and he's an artist so there were a lot of artists there, and they all had cards. It didn't seem very artist-like to have a business card. It's like street performers who have their cd's for sale. I hate that. The pastry chef from work was there and even SHE had a card.
-Suzanne, you make brownies, why do you need a card?
-It's good for business, plus it's free.
It's true! You can get free business cards made. www.vistaprint.com
So obviously I want to do this, but can't think of anything good to put on it. Nessa said it should read: F&B Needs Anticipator. I Know You Need Ketchup Before You Do.
But my real job would be ridiculous so I want something that is an exciting variation of the truth. Hmm, have to think.
Maybe, Jessica Martin
Sister of the Manager Of Major Gifts.
Including but in no way limited to ponies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

James' little sister, Zoe, who is obsessed with horses, got some free business cards printed up for fun when she was like 12 or 13 that read:

Zoe Gregg
Horse Extraordinaire

She totally handed them out to everyone she knew. So my point is that "Fill in the blank, Extraordinaire" is always a good one. Actually literally using "Fill in the Blank" is even better! Let THEM figure it out!

Jess said...

Yikes, took the long way around to call me 12. thanks.
'Horse Extraordinaire?" Did people get confused that it was a business card for the horse??
If I ever work for Mad-Libs, 'Fill in the Blank' is totally on my card.
I remember James' card said 'Principal' which I thought was nice. He must really love those kids at his school, to put that on his computer business card.

Anonymous said...

ha!!
and I meant for the "13" of that sentence to apply to you, not the "12."