Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Coin toss.

As a child, i had a very hard time making decisions. Whenever we would go out to eat I would be overwhelmed by menus and choose instead, to order nothing. It was my little hunger strike to protest free will at Red Lobster. It became a problem, and thus was born one of a million Martin family sayings, "You can never go wrong with grilled cheese."
And to be honest, I still use this when out for lunch and unsure of what I want.
But my indecision with small things has pretty much disappeared and I've learned to jump on impulse for things like what to eat, buy, etc. But questions of life direction...forget about it. I'm 7 years old again with a billboard menu.
I was enjoying over the last few months, a relative calm in this department. Yes, I hate my job, but it's ok for now. Just living an easy, decision-free life, no worries, it was all very nice.
But then, someone comes along and hands you their future, and you're left to decide what to do with it.
Not to harp on it, but this marriage thing has been weighing on me. And what's ironic is that I'm so anti-wedding, I thought this would be something I'd never need to worry about. I was talking to my sisters about it and they agreed that besides being hilarious, it's actually a huge deal for this kid, because it's his life, and his chance to be successful in America (he was given a job with a bank which is dependent on his citizenship). gah, it's just a lot.
Nessa said he should pay off my student loan and then I should do it.
Brina said I shouldn't do it for less than $100,000.
And my mother, (who i KNEW i shouldn't have told) said i shouldn't do it because he might sell me into an underground sex trade. Right. He comes all the way to America, works for 8 months in room service, the whole time scouting me out as a potential sex slave, and then asks me to marry him in a way to get me to Romania where I will have no legal rights as his wife, and my story will be sold to CBS as the next installment of the mini-series, "Not Without My Daughter." Solid advice, mom, thanks for that.
But me and Raffi were laughing our heads off last night talking about the wedding. He's seriously the best roommate a girl could have. He's like, well, I'm totally there if you decide to do it, and we started brainstorming about possible wedding songs. He came up with the Harold Melvin classic, "If You Don't Know Me By Now." or ac/dc's "Highway to Hell." I appreciated his suggestions, but it's obvious if we were to get married the song would be, 'Shoop' by the prophetic Salt N Pepa. That's just a given.

No comments: