Monday, April 10, 2006

Where Was I?

Oh right. I met a man in Room Service, and we're getting married. (name the reference, win a prize)

If I may, let's return to the proposal. (Trivia: This is not the first time I've been asked to marry someone. A few years ago in Morocco, a man offered me camels in exchange for my hand in marriage. I swear to you, that's 100% true)
Laurentiu had just proposed. On my end, it was a complete arrest of breath accompanied by what must have looked like an attempt to touch my eyebrows to my ponytail. I waited patiently for him to say he was kidding and bring up the drug mule thing--no dice.
But I don't know why I was floored. Of course this would happen. It makes perfect sense. You dress up in a little room service uniform, express that you have no interest in guys, and the Eastern European sitting on a case of water asks you to marry him. It's textbook.
So I listened to his speech about his expiring visa etc, the whole time picturing the situation being played out on a filmstrip like they used to show in elementary school. Grainy pictures, with naration coming from an old cassette player:

-The lesbian nods slowly with widened eyes as the foreigner pleads his case. Beep.
-In his broken English he explains it is a business deal in which they both will benefit. Beep.
-They will take trips together, as photographs are needed as evidence of their relationship. Beep.
-In a years time, they will be interviewed by a government official to determine if he can stay. Beep.
-The girl tries her best not to imagine the young man speaking as GĂ©rard Depardieu. Beep.

And this continued, until he left work, and then we met up last night to talk about it a little more. The thing is, after I stopped laughing, it didn't seem so crazy. Am I insane for even considering?? In a word--yes. But here are the pros:
1) Help out a friend in need.
2) The potential for the funniest wedding EVER in vegas with all my friends.
3) You only get one go in this life to collect as many kick-ass stories as you can, and this would qualify.

Cons:
1)hi, do you really need them listed?
2) I just came out to my parents, now I'd have to tell them I'm getting married.
mmm yeah, that should go over well.
3) As michelle said, "You'll have a divorce on your record."
So if I get pulled over or apply for a job they'll know I've been convicted of divorce.

But people, I'm a student of reason. Honestly, at this point, it's 90% no. But 10% of me can't help but think that a ninja-theme ceremony at Caesar's Palace is like, the best idea I've ever had.

No comments: