Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Dude, That's My Underwear.

Tia will be here tomorrow so i woke up early to do mad errands, including some much needed laundry. I love doing laundry on weekday mornings because no one is ever there, thus no fight for machines. In our neighborhood laundromat there's a dryer that gives you 10 minutes for a quarter instead of six. It's kind of a little secret but everyone knows about it so when there are other people there it's like an awkward stand-off/stare-down, sprint for that dryer. I like to avoid that, so this morning was nice.
After my wash was done washing, I happily took everything out and brought it to the 10 minute dryer, smiling. Yeaa, 4 free minutes! Stick it to the man! I went down to the coffee shop and got some tea, taking in some quality people watching, knowing i was about 30 minutes away from spring freshness. All good things.
So i make my way back to the laundromat and there's a guy standing by my dryer pulling stuff out. I thought to myself, oooh no dice, my friend, i got the 10 minute machine. But when I walked closer, I realized, um, that IS my machine.
-Um, excuse me? I think that's my dryer.
-Nope, it's mine.
This guy thought of everything!
-I don't know bro, we must have the same underwear then.
-Yup, we must.
Ok, footnote. I LOVE my underwear. I spent a small fortune at American Apparel so that I could have a George Costanza amount of their shorts. I love them. So i'm standing there thinking, maybe I could let him take everything but ask if i can keep my underwear.
But have you ever heard of this?!! I'm not sure if he was homeless or just weird but i was like, should i call the cops? Scream for help? so finally I say,
-look, I don't want to start a big thing, can you just put all my clothes back?
And when I said this i put down my things on a folding table, including this little cottage cheese container I keep my laundry quarters in and he heard the rattle and was like, "what's in there?" and i go, "cottage cheese." Then I roll my eyes, and i'm like, "quarters."
So he goes, "can i have them?" and at this point I'm pissed and i'm like, "well are my clothes dry?!!" and he's like, "not really." So i said, "well then I need 2 of them and you can have the rest." Which worked.
So he left and I waited for my stuff to dry, but I'm standing there thinking, was I just robbed? gah. but this guy totally had to go and throw off my morning chill. Luckily, there was some calming spring freshness to balance it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha. welcome to the big city... going to be at fort mason for most of friday and saturday. what are you doing?