Friday, May 19, 2006

And What Do You Think That Means?

How best to describe conversations with Karla? Truly, there are a thousand different ways I could go with it, but I guess it's like looking at a Pollock only to realize you're searching for Waldo. She has such an incredible ability to mix huge philosophical points with something completely unrelated, and I never see it coming, and actually, I don't think she does either. I shouldn't be surprised when it happens, but i honestly find it so amusing every time because she doesn't even attempt to link the two. They're always just connected by a thoughtful pause, like it was an extension of the idea she had just expressed.
Example:
So she's studying to be a counselor and was trying to sell me on the idea of analysis. Just explaining it more or less, the benefits, how it works, the absence of validation, whatever. I'm a staunch realist so I have issues with analysis because if that person is just going to stare at you and not say anything, what's the point? Just talk to yourself in the mirror. And she said that they'll mention a twitch or reaction when you mention a person, and a similar action when you mention something else and ask you to find the connection. this would honestly be my personal hell. I'm a nervous person by nature. Having someone call me out on my fidgeting and asking me to find the deeper meaning behind it would drive me nuts. Well, I keep shifting cuz you're staring at me. The meaning there is that I want you to stop looking at me.
But anyway, Karla was making some really wonderful points I was totally impressed, and then she kind of inhales deeply like she's about to make this grand summation and says, "You know, I really want to see the new X-Men."
I'm not kidding
And neither was she.
It was all so classic, but I in no way wanted to validate it. So i just sat there and stared. And I figured if she made a connection between x-men and her childhood, I would charge her $75.

No comments: