Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson.

I read an article a few weeks ago in which a chef described the importance of food by saying that "everyone has a story about food." I loved this because it's so true. Ask anyone you meet and chances are, they can give you a detailed food memory. They can probably give you ten.

I think the same holds true for Michael Jackson's music. You'd be hard-pressed to find a person of our generation anywhere in the world who doesn't have at least one strong memory tied to a Michael Jackson song. That's pretty amazing if you think about it. Plus, probably every person who has ever closed their bedroom door and turned on some music, has tried to moonwalk. That's what I call a legacy.

These are my top 5 Michael Jackson memories:
-My cousin Jonathan showing up to Christmas one year when we were kids wearing a red leather jacket and a sparkly glove. Without exaggeration, I was so jealous I almost started crying.
-Listening to the "Bad" tape on my first Walkman.
-Pretending I wasn't terrified by the Thriller video.
-Michelle Garren busting out the Thriller dance every time we drank in college. The first time I saw her do it is in my Top 10 Hardest Laughs list.
-Dancing around my great-grandma's basement with my sisters and my cousins, trying to do the moonwalk. Who are we kidding? I'm still trying to do the moonwalk.

6 comments:

MFB said...

"Bad" was one of my first cassettes!!

Jess said...

Nice! I basically wore my Bad and Tiffany tapes out.

Sabrina said...

I remember blasting MJ at that crazy campground we went to with Jonny in the adirondaks. We had a portable tape player and we were running around the playground to BAD. Where the hell were Mom and Aunt Pat at that point? Probably checking into a hotel.

V said...

I dont recall the MJ blasting at that cmpground (prob cuz u guys didnt include me) but I tottttally remember having an allergic reaction to my Teddy Rubskin bear.

Jess said...

Ruxpin. Teddy Ruxpin.
No wonder you got sick.

Unless that was planned word play, in which case, well done.

V said...

It wasn't...shittt